What is an Ultrasound scan?
An ultrasound scan is primarily used to examine the inside of a patient’s body in order to identify and diagnose any possible conditions or abnormalities. The scanner uses high-frequency sound waves to produce internal images of the body, utilizing a similar technology to that of a ship’s sonar system. Images taken can be displayed on a monitor and later stored electronically.
Ultrasound Procedures that we offer:
Abdo or Abdominal Scan – assessment of the aorta, biliary tract, gallbladder, inferior vena cava, kidneys, liver, pancreas, retroperitoneum, and spleen.
Transabdominal or Pelvic Scan – It is performed to examine the female pelvis, including the uterus, cervix, vagina, fallopian tube, and ovaries.
Transvaginal – This is a female internal exam where a small probe is inserted into the lower part of your vagina; it is performed to examine your womb, ovaries and surrounding structures.
Transrectal – This is an internal exam where a small probe is inserted into your behind; it is performed to examine your prostate or to take a sample of the tissue from your prostate gland.
Testes or Testicular Scan – This is a male exam which is performed to examine the testicles and the surrounding tissues in your scrotum.
Why might you need an Ultrasound?
- Post-injury investigation
- Unidentified pain in the abdomen
- Investigation of prostate or genitalia-related issues
- Examination of breast lump
- Joint inflammation (synovitis)
- Thyroid gland inspection
This is not an exhaustive list. If you are unsure and would like more information, give us a call, our team are expert and are always happy to help.
Why Use Beacon for Private Ultrasound?
- Our private ultrasound service is undertaken by fully accredited, U.K trained sonographers, ensuring our patients receive the highest quality of care from field-leading healthcare professionals.
- Our Ultrasound service boasts our highest levels of patient satisfaction.100% of past patients stated they were either very likely or likely to recommend this service to a friend or family member.
- Appointments are provided within 48 hours or at a date and time most convenient for you.
Do you have to make any preparations before your appointment?
There are some area-specific pre-examination preparation requests which will assist your sonographer in attaining the most accurate scan results. You must follow any / all preparation instructions given to you by a member of our advisory team prior to your appointment. Some examples would be:
- Arrive at your appointment in loose-fitted clothing, allowing for easier access to the area being scanned. You may be asked to change into a gown if the care team deem it necessary.
- For an abdominal scan, you may be asked to fast for at least 6 hours prior to the examination. During this fast, you can continue to drink, but only plain, clear fluids such as water, black tea or black coffee. If you are diabetic, you may have dry toast/crackers during the 6 hours if you feel hungry.
- For Kidney/ Pelvis/ Prostate scans, you will be required to drink approximately 1-1.5 litres of still water. This will have to be consumed 1 hour prior to your appointment; once you have drunk the adequate amount, please refrain from using the toilet as these scans require a full bladder.
This information is a guide on the types of preparation requests you may be asked to undertake – always follow the advice specifically provided to you by our care team. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call.
Please fill out a form on the contact page, and we will be in touch as soon as possible to organise your appointment.
Frequently asked questions can be found below; however, if you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us by our website, email, or phone.