ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat)
ENT is a medical abbreviation referring to the treatment of Ear, Nose and Throat conditions and covers related structures of the head and neck, including the sinuses, larynx (voice box), oral cavity, and upper pharynx (mouth and throat). The clinical name for this type of doctor is an otolaryngologist. Conditions relating to the ears, nose and throat can really affect a patient’s quality of life and everyday interactions.
ENT Procedures and treatments we offer:
- Assessment and diagnosis of all Ear, Nose and Throat conditions.
- Treatment and management of common ear conditions e.g., micro-suction of wax, excision of lesions of the external and middle ear, otitis external /media, ear packing.
- Treatment and management of common nose conditions e.g., nose bleeds, allergic rhinitis, removal of foreign body.
- Treatment and management of common throat conditions e.g., hoarseness of voice, lymph node biopsies.
- Follow up and management of all conditions.
Why Might you need to see an ENT consultant –
Treating Ear infections is one of the most common clinical practices of ENT services. Ear infections occur when the eustachian tube (a canal that connects the ear to the back of the throat) becomes swollen or clogged as a result of bacteria, mucus or other microbes entering the ear.
Dizziness and Vertigo:
Dizziness is a general term used to describe light-headedness leading to imbalance. Our consultants are trained to treat any condition impacting the inner ear or the central nervous system, which causes issues such as common dizziness and vertigo. Vertigo is a condition which often causes patients to feel a spiralling sensation like they are falling even when they are still.
When a patient has problems moving saliva, liquids, and food to their stomach, the condition is known as dysphagia. Common symptoms of dysphagia, discomfort, a choking sensation, impaired nutrition, and excessive coughing when eating. ENT consultants are equipped to help patients better manage this condition.
There are more than 30 areas within the head and neck where cancer can develop. Problem areas are typically; the mouth, lips, voice box, throat, nose, sinuses, and the nasopharynx (area at the back of the nose and mouth). Although head and neck cancers are relatively uncommon (affecting around 12,400 new patients a year), diagnosis and treatment from an ENT specialist is critical.
Hearing loss & Tinnitus:
ENT specialists deal with a variety of conditions relating to patients hearing, with the most common being hearing loss and tinnitus. Hearing loss can occur at any age, and there are many potential causes. Overexposure to excessively loud noises, head injuries, heart conditions, stroke, ageing, viruses, and tumours can all result in a gradual loss of hearing. Tinnitus causes patients to hear sounds that are not there. This often distresses the individual so much the quality of their life suffers, and their functional health deteriorates. Similarly to hearing loss, tinnitus is caused by overexposure to loud noises.
Why Use Beacon for Private ENT?
- We only use the best – all of our ENT clinicians are either a consultant or surgeon-level doctors who are specialists in this particular field of medicine. You can rest assured that you are in very safe hands.
- Skip the waiting lists – the average UK waiting time for an ENT consultation currently stands at 17 weeks. We aim to provide a private ENT consultation within 48 hours at a date and time that best suits you.
- Relieve the stress of undiagnosed ailments – Conditions relating to your Ear, Nose and Throat can be especially troublesome when it comes to quality of life. Take back control of your health and get the answers you need as soon as possible.
- Utilise our vast array of services – our ENT service works hand in hand with our other services, such as Audiology and MRI. This means that our patients can quickly and easily receive the care/diagnostics they require, allowing our team to carefully build a health plan around your specific needs.
Do you have to make any preparations before your appointment?
Unless told otherwise prior to your appointment, there are no ENT-specific preparations needed. If you have any questions relating to your appointment or you have any specific requirements, feel free to contact us, and we will do our best to accommodate you in any way you feel necessary.
Have you been advised you need an ENT consultation? Why not have it with us!
Please fill out a form on the contact page, and we will be in touch as soon as possible to organise your appointment.
Frequently asked questions can be found below; however, if you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us by our website, email, or phone.